Author Topic: 2009 WRX boost gauge install help  (Read 3169 times)

Offline aaronwrx

2009 WRX boost gauge install help
« on: May 25, 2010, 10:23:49 AM »
Hey,

I have been wanting to install a boost gauge on my 09 WRX. I have read a few guides and seen a few vids, it seems like an easy install. I still think i'll screw something up... Was wondering if anyone who knows what they are doing would like to help me out. i live in Bellevue.

I saw a gauge at O'reillys that i like and it has the same gray black theme as my interior, thats probably the one will buy.

-Aaron

(262) 271-6418 (cell)

Offline WRXNFX

• Elite Member
    • My WRX journal
Re: 2009 WRX boost gauge install help
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 10:41:43 AM »
Get a mechanical one.

Then all you have is a boost line from the BPV and 2 illumination wires.

If the wiring of the 09 is the same you can get the dash illumination off of the fog light harness (even if you do not have fogs).

Where are you going to place the guage?  Just stick it to the dash?  A pilar?  Infront of the tach?
Jeff

04 PSM pro tuned STi

Making Nebraska faster, one car at a time.

Offline aaronwrx

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 10:52:58 AM »
once i get the gauge ill figure out placement. it will be out of the way probably in between the steering wheel and dash.

Offline WRXNFX

• Elite Member
    • My WRX journal
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 11:07:42 AM »
once i get the gauge ill figure out placement. it will be out of the way probably in between the steering wheel and dash.

Like dis?

Jeff

04 PSM pro tuned STi

Offline aaronwrx

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 11:40:59 AM »
Yes but off to the right

Offline WRXNFX

• Elite Member
    • My WRX journal
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 11:43:35 AM »
Yes but off to the right

Infront of the speedo?
Jeff

04 PSM pro tuned STi

Offline aaronwrx

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 12:09:18 PM »
Little further... I have to get it and figure out where I want it.

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 12:11:13 PM »
Small | Large

Offline aaronwrx

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 12:36:41 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1reVvBNsAcc

Already saw that vid... from reading the comments he did it the long and hard way. If i am going to take the entire dash apart i would like for someone who knows what they are doing to help me.

Here is how i would like to mount it.

Offline kevinmfb

• Elite Member
  • 09 OBP WRX Hatch
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 12:54:25 PM »
Already saw that vid... from reading the comments he did it the long and hard way. If i am going to take the entire dash apart i would like for someone who knows what they are doing to help me.

Here is how i would like to mount it.

Way long and way scary. Personally never had much luck with taking interior stuff apart.

That's a good spot IMO.  It's not sticking off the top of the dash yelling "LOOK AT ME!" If I were to do a boost guage I would go for that spot.  Too bad there isn't a center cluster like the older STi's have :(

Offline 99STM

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 01:24:23 PM »
Your boost gauge will have a fitting of some sort for the vacuum line. If it does not, you will need to get a fitting so that you can run a vacuum line from the boost gauge to the engine bay.
If you pop your hood and look at your firewall, you will see lots of grommets. Try to find one that is in the footwell on the drivers side. When you do this, feed your vacuum line through the grommet. Inside the car, route the vacuum line through your dash to your boost gauge. I highly doubt you will have to pull apart your dash to so.

As for the lighting of the gauge there is a positive and a negative wire. The negative wire (Most likely will be black) will go to a ground of some sort. The positive (Most likely white) will need to be T'd into a 12v switched power (Some sort of power source that is only on when your headlights are on).
It's a fairly straight forward install.
-Shawn

Offline WRXNFX

• Elite Member
    • My WRX journal
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 01:33:07 PM »
Your boost gauge will have a fitting of some sort for the vacuum line. If it does not, you will need to get a fitting so that you can run a vacuum line from the boost gauge to the engine bay.
If you pop your hood and look at your firewall, you will see lots of grommets. Try to find one that is in the footwell on the drivers side. When you do this, feed your vacuum line through the grommet. Inside the car, route the vacuum line through your dash to your boost gauge. I highly doubt you will have to pull apart your dash to so.

As for the lighting of the gauge there is a positive and a negative wire. The negative wire (Most likely will be black) will go to a ground of some sort. The positive (Most likely white) will need to be T'd into a 12v switched power (Some sort of power source that is only on when your headlights are on).
It's a fairly straight forward install.

I would like to repeat fog light wiring, then they dim.   :)
Jeff

04 PSM pro tuned STi

Offline aaronwrx

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 04:47:10 PM »
So do i tap any of these hoses for the gauge?

if not what do i tap?

Offline 99STM

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 05:54:42 PM »

Tap the one circled in red.
-Shawn

Offline xsnapshot

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 08:15:54 PM »
+1. That's where mine is tapped.
2004 WRX PSM
Small 16G, EWG, E85, Spearco TMIC, 20 psi, TGV-less, 3" TBE, Gimmick inlet, Perrin AftaMAF, Opensource tuned by me!

Offline WRXNFX

• Elite Member
    • My WRX journal
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 08:23:44 PM »
+2
Jeff

04 PSM pro tuned STi

Offline aaronwrx

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 09:29:14 PM »
Well im done, i ran the line through the driver side fender and up next to the fuse box... was pretty easy took about 45 mins total to install. Here are the pics, they are a little dark because i used the camera on the phone (incredible FTW):

Now my next question is how do you guys avoid running in to things? i keep looking at the gauge because i want to know how much boost im at...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 09:32:35 PM by aaronwrx »